Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Another year older, another year wiser. Or something like that.

It never ceases to amaze me how much more we have to learn, even as adults.  I know they say that the younger you are, the easier it is to learn things, and I guess that’s true to some extent.  Not necessarily true though regarding life lessons and the wisdom you gain from growing older.

As of a week ago, I am officially no longer just dirty 30.  I am the big 3-1.  The numbers are getting larger yet the inner peace I am achieving grows larger by the day.  I thought it’d be fun to do some little nuggets of wisdom of things I’ve learned in the past year.

Allowing toxic people to take up space in your brain is your fault just as much as theirs.  If a relationship is more work than reward, let go.  You can find great inner peace if you start to focus on your own family, goals, and what’s important to you and the people who are always there for you.

The older you get, you will finally realize quality over quantity in friendships and relationships.  I used to take great pride in the hundreds of phone numbers I had, knowing I could just call or text someone on a whim and they’d be just as ready to go out and party as I was.  You will eventually find out that these so called friends are only there for your long partying, nights.  Not the people you want to go to when you have some exciting news to share.  Your priorities start to shift as you grow older.  Instead of being enticed by the dim lights, stale cigarette smoke, and loud bass, you realize you have more fun at a kids birthday party, having an ice cold beer with fellow parents, and enjoying the sunshine and children’s laughter.  Plus, bonus: you won’t wake up the next day with a hangover!

I’ve always considered myself to be someone who has great taste and loves to decorate, but the older I get, the more I realize that I want to take great pride in our home and let it be a reflection of who we are, as a family.  I’d pick a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond over a trip to Victoria’s Secret any day of the week now.

Cooking is actually fun!  I’ve always loved to cook but now that I’m a little older, I’m more comfortable to try new things and go out on a whim to create something new (sorry husband ;).

Gardening is kind of fun.  I definitely sound like an old(er) person now, but when I can keep something alive, it’s neat.  Plus, I love having plants and flowers and all kinds of things blooming all the time.

Financial planning.  Ew, I’ll admit this one still kind of gives me hives.  My husband is definitely the one who has influenced me and pushed me in the right direction to do some retirement planning and for that, I thank him.  But it can be so very overwhelming when first starting out. 

Education is important.  And expensive.  But you know what's more expensive?  Not having an education and living up to your full potential (although I do realize this is not true in everyones case - mine included.)

Confidence is the best thing a woman can wear.  It's refreshing to have a husband, a stepson, and bigger more important things to worry about than what establishment is hosting ladies night.

So that's it.  For now.  There are tons more things I learned in my 30's, but I don't want to bore you too much more :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment